Get a message from Pastor Mark each week. Enter your email and click "Go."
La Jolla Lutheran Church
Sunday 9:30 a.m.
Experience the joy of a Bible-based church.
You are needed (like Matthew!)
There are things that only you can do.
That's how it was for Matthew. Even though other people wrote down their memories about Jesus, Matthew shares things that no one else recounts.
Here are some of the stories we would never have known if Matthew hadn't written his gospel:
* Matthew 1:18-25 (Joseph's compassion for Mary and his plan to divorce her)
* Matthew 2:1-12 (the visit of the wise men)
* Matthew 2:13-21 (the violence of King Herod)
* Matthew 5:33-37, 6:1-6, 6:16-18 (the importance of not doing things for show)
* Matthew 11:28-30 ("Come to me all you that are weary and carrying heavy burdens.")
* Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43 (a parable about why there is so much evil in the world)
* Matthew 13:44-46 (two parables about how valuable the kingdom of heaven is)
* Matthew 13:47-50 (a parable about how justice will come at the end of the age)
* Matthew 18:23-35 (a parable about God's mercy to us and how important it is to forgive others)
* Matthew 20:1-16 (a parable about God's mercy, no matter how late in life one starts working for God.)
* Matthew 25:31-46 (a parable about how important it is to act on behalf of people who need help)
Matthew 26:16-20 (the Great Commission)
And that's just a sample!
Your part in the universe is important. Like Matthew, if you don't do things God has put on your heart, some of them won't get done. Thank you for doing all God has called you to do!
La Jolla Lutheran Church is 14 miles north of downtown San Diego. It is a member of Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ. LCMC has more than 700 congregations in the United States and more than 800 worldwide. To find an LCMC congregation near you, visit http://lcmc.net/memberdirectory.html
The Scripture quotations contained herein are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible (NRSV), copyright, 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S. A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
|Get our weekly newsletter and stay up to date.|